Price’s National Teapots, Burslem
Image by Nigel Shuttleworth
The lone Grade II listed bottle oven in an advanced state of disrepair dates back to 1832 and is said to be the oldest still standing in the Potteries. It was refurbished in 2007 following a grant of £300,000 from English Heritage and is part of the remnants of the Top Bridge pottery works built in 1773 by Edward Bourne. The history of the three adjoining C18th pottery works (or ‘potbanks’ as they are referred to locally) the Royal Bradwell, Longport and Top Bridge works is quite complicated and mirrors the histories of most of the manufacturers in The Potteries. The three potbanks on this site were built at different times and evolved organically along the Newcastle to Burslem road, with wharfage at the rear on the Trent & Mersey canal. Small pottery companies have existed in the Brownhills area at Trubshaw Cross, Staffordshire for 350 years or more. The origins of Bradwell Pottery can be traced back to the Elers brothers who brought over the salt glazing process from their native Holland in the C17th. Another family dynasty which lasted right up to 2003 was founded by Ralph Wood who was apprenticed to Master Potter John Astbury in 1730 at the age of 15. Ralph Wood’s great nephew John Wood established his own pottery at the Bradwell Works in 1787 and contemporary news sheets reported that his son Ralph Wood III ‘continued the firm after his father’s murder’ – dangerous business, this pottery thing! In the C19th the Wood family were in business as Capper and Wood Ltd at the Royal Bradwell Pottery producing teapots. Arthur Wood became sole owner in 1904 and took over the rest of the Longport Pottery works in 1924. It had been established in 1772 by John Brindley, younger brother of James Brindley Engineer who constructed the Trent & Mersey Canal which opened from Burton-on-Trent as far as Stoke in the same year. The Top Bridge and Longport works were both acquired by John Davenport in 1794 specialising in the production of creamware, later introducing bone china and glass blowing on the same site. John Davenport’s sons continued the business until 1887 when the Longport works was sold to Thomas Hughes who already occupied Top Bridge next door and he renamed it Unicorn Pottery. In 1896 Top Bridge was purchased by Price Brothers Burslem Ltd, in turn becoming part of the Arthur Wood Group in 1934. Three years later Arthur’s son Gerald Wood bought a controlling interest in Kensington Pottery Ltd, Hanley and moved production into Top Bridge Works alongside Price Bros. In December 1961 the two occupants of the site were amalgamated as Price & Kensington Potteries Ltd and concentrated on the production of tea and coffee sets, renaming the works ‘Price’s National Teapots’. Changes in lifestyle and foreign competition saw a decreasing demand in the 1990’s and unfortunately the Arthur Wood Group went into Receivership in 2003. The brand passed to Rayware Ltd who continue to use the name today on product made in China. The site with the three adjacent potbanks was acquired by Middlesex based property developer Charles Lewis & Co. The historic site has been allowed to progress to a state of terminal dereliction; a process accelerated by a criminally negligent owner, arsonists, petty thieves stealing the fabric of the building brick by brick and capped by Stoke City Council which demolished the main part of Price’s National Teapot Works despite the Grade II listing, over a weekend in 2019 because it was deemed unsafe. Taken with a 1976 Polaroid SX-70 Land Camera Alpha 1 on Polaroid (TIP) film